Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Shamrock for Your Thoughts?

"An Englishman thinks seated; a Frenchman, standing; an American, pacing; an Irishman, afterward."
Something from Austin O'Malley for a St. Patrick's Day smile. I don't have much time tonight, but I want to mention something that happened the other day. I repeated this quote to my mom, thinking she'd laugh. She didn't, and instead looked at me quizzically. She asked me what it meant, what it said about the English, French, and Americans and their nature/culture. I didn't have much of an answer. She probed deeper, and I fumbled through a response. "Allison," she said, "did you even think about this quote before you said it?" I had to answer no. "Then you must be Irish," she said.

I certainly am, and proud of it.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about this quote, though. What do you think it says about the English, French, and Americans? Why do they think seated, standing, or pacing?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment